How To Dispute Credit Bureaus (And Win), 2022

Last Updated: Dec 06, 2022

You are entitled to one free credit report from each of the 3 major credit bureaus annually.

Reviewing your credit report for errors is vital to improving your credit score.

Call us today for your FREE case review!

Federal law ensure you the right to review and dispute your credit reports at any official credit reporting agencies, as well as with any business that provides information to the bureaus. Having a positive credit report is integral, as lenders use information on the report to determine your credibility. Aim to dispute credit report information that isn’t current, accurate, or complete to boost your credibility.

How To Dispute A Credit Bureau Report?

  • Getting a copy of your credit report and reviewing your credit report for errors.
  • Writing a dispute letter or filling out an online form for each error you uncover.
  • Collecting documents that support your dispute claims.
  • Filing your dispute through online forms, calls, or the post.
  • Having patience while you wait for the results of the investigation – this may take up to 30 days.

How Does The Dispute Process Work?

Here are the steps you need to take to file a dispute:

  • Fill out a credit bureau dispute form,
  • Print your credit report and circle the errors,
  • Attach documents that support your dispute,
  • Write a letter to the credit bureau explaining the errors, and
  • Send your documents by certified mail with a return receipt, so you know they received your letter.

What Information Must I Provide When Submitting My Dispute?

Each bureau’s site explains its error-dispute processes, including:

  • The information that must be included in your dispute letter,
  • Supporting documents needed,
  • How to file your completed dispute package, and
  • How to find updates as your dispute progresses.

How Long Will The Dispute Process Take?

The credit bureau will investigate your claim, usually within 30 days. If you disagree with the results of the investigation, you can dispute the result once it has been submitted.

What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Investigation Results?

Once you file your dispute, credit reporting agencies must tell the information provider(s) about it. Information providers (banks, credit card issuers, etc.) are required to verify the data in question—or, if it’s found inaccurate, they must inform all three bureaus and have the data corrected or deleted.

Once a dispute investigation is complete, credit bureaus are required to inform you of the results in writing and provide a new free report if there are changes. Further, the bureau must provide information on the “data furnisher” involved.

If You Disagree With The Results Of The Investigation, You Can Take These Steps To Query It:

  • You may contact the lender or creditor that reported the information to the credit bureau/bureaus and dispute it directly.  If you would like written documentation relating to your accounts (such as an account agreement), you must contact your lender or creditor.                                      
  • You may file a new dispute and provide additional information or documents to the bureau/bureaus. They may reinvestigate your dispute with the creditor or lender on your behalf.                                                                                                                                              
  • You may request that a consumer statement of 100 words or less be added to your credit report. Your statement should be specific to your dispute.  Your statement will become part of your credit report, and it will be included each time your credit report is accessed.

Bottom Line

Check your credit report regularly. You are entitled to 1 free credit report per year from each of the three major consumer reporting companies. Print out a copy of the report and circle any errors. You can file a dispute, which will be investigated by the credit bureaus.

Ready to get started?

If you’re a victim of credit reporting/background check errors, or debt collection harassment, it’s time to take a stand. Contact us today & reclaim your financial future.