Mylife provides background check services. If you have errors on your background check from them, you have the right to dispute it under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Unfortunately, background check errors are common and can prevent you from a range of things (such as getting a new job).
Generally these errors occur when files get mixed. Information from someone else showing up on your report for example. This can happen by having the same (or similar) name, or same birth date as someone else with a criminal history.
Summary of rights under the FCRA
Mylife are legally responsible for:
- Making sure their background checks are completely accurate & up to date
- Ensuring you’re able to receive a free copy of your background check
- Addressing any background check disputes within 30 days
Can I sue Mylife for background check errors?
You may be able to sue in federal court if any of the following has happened to you:
- You missed out on a job because of errors on your background check
- Your job started date was delayed due to background check errors
- You missed out on a promotion due to background check errors
Every case is unique. For us to be able to provide concrete answers, we would need to speak with you and give you a free case review.
How to dispute Mylife background check errors
The FCRA gives you the right to dispute any errors you find on your background check.
Background check companies typically offer a range of ways for you to dispute your report, such as:
Whichever way you choose, it’s important to keep a paper trail.
How long do Mylife background check disputes take?
Once you’ve disputed the error/s, the background check company has 30 days to investigate & correct them.